Thursday, May 17, 2018

5 Seconds of Summer (1) – Week Of May 12, 2018

So I'm currently in week one of summer break and the post is still out later than it should be. My apologies for that. This was pure laziness on my part. But hey, it's out before Friday. So that's improvement. Slowly, they'll start coming out earlier and earlier again. Before we get to this week's Fresh 45, here are the songs we're saying goodbye to this week.


  • Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment (#28)
  • NF – Let You Down (#42)

Last Week's #1 Song: Camila Cabello – Never Be The Same
The Countdown
45. Charlie Puth – How Long (#43) [2 Weeks At #1]
44. Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still (#45)
43. Selena Gomez/Marshmello – Wolves (#30)
42. Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days (#44) [1 Week At #1]
41. Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Future – End Game (#41) [1 Week At #1]
40. Drake – God's Plan (#36)
39. P!nk – Beautiful Trauma (#39)
38. Camila Cabello – Havana (#40) [1 Week At #1]
37. Alice Merton – No Roots (#37)
36. Halsey – Bad At Love (#38)
35. Foster The People – Sit Next To Me (DEBUT)
34. Bruno Mars/Cardi B – Finesse (#34)
33. Dua Lipa – IDGAF (DEBUT)
32. Lauv – I Like Me Better (#29)
31. Noah Kahan/Julia Michaels – Hurt Somebody (#35)
30. Post Malone/Ty Dolla $ign – Psycho (#32)
29. Ed Sheeran – Perfect (#33) [2 Weeks At #1]
28. G-Eazy/Halsey – Him & I (#15)
27. AJR/Rivers Cuomo – Sober Up (#31)
26. NOTD/Bea Miller – I Wanna Know (#25)
25. MAX/Gnash – Lights Down Low (#26)
24. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt – Let Me Go (#17) [1 Week At #1]
23. Bazzi – Mine (#18)
22. Bad Wolves – Zombie (#22)
21. Zayn – Let Me (#23)
20. Walk The Moon – One Foot (#24)
19. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left To Cry (#21)
18. Imagine Dragons – Thunder (#19) [5 Weeks At #1]
17. Halsey – Alone (#27)
16. Charlie Puth/Kehlani – Done For Me (#20)
15. Rudimental/Jess Glynne/Macklemore/Dan Caplen – These Days (#13)
14. Shawn Mendes – In My Blood (#14)
13. Marshmello/Anne-Marie – Friends (#11)
12. Niall Horan – On The Loose (#12)
11. Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me (#9)
10. Panic! At The Disco – Say Amen (Saturday Night) (#8)
  9. Meghan Trainor – No Excuses (#7)
  8. Taylor Swift – Delicate (#10)
  7. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line – Meant To Be (#6) [1 Week At #1]
  6. The Weeknd/Kendrick Lamar – Pray For Me (#5)
  5. Maroon 5 – Wait (#16)
  4. Camila Cabello – Never Be The Same (#1) [1 Week At #1]
  3. Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes (#4)
  2. Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey – The Middle (#3) [7 Weeks At #1]
  1. 5 Seconds of Summer – Want You Back (#2) [1st Week At #1]

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay (2)

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Tie Between G-Eazy/Halsey – Him & I and Selena Gomez/Marshmello – Wolves (–13)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Maroon 5 – Wait (+11)

New Entrants
~ Not long after the exit of New Rules, Dua Lipa makes her return with her follow-up single, IDGAF. I don't really have much to say about this one. This song is not as good as its predecessor, but it's decent overall. I find the song rather boring at certain points. I do think she delivers well on the vocals. But the production here is lacking and I just don't really find it that interesting. I don't really care how it does here given how much stuff here is worse.

~ Next we have the long-awaited return of Foster The People, who had that big song in 2011 called Pumped Up Kicks as well as a few other minor hits that didn't take off as much. This week they bring Sit Next To Me. At first I thought it was good, but it really didn't take long for me to fall in love with it. Frankly, I'm not too sure why I love it as much as I do. But something about it just grabs my attention. The vocals are good as well as the production. I think it's a very catchy song. It's one that I find hard not to sing along to. Overall, it's such a great song and I really hope it does well.


Best Debut of the Week: Foster The People – Sit Next To Me


Hit-Bound
~ Here is the Hit-Bound list.


  • Sam Smith/Logic – Pray
  • Calvin Harris/Dua Lipa – One Kiss
  • In Real Life – Tattoo (How 'Bout You)
  • Sugarland/Taylor Swift – Babe
  • Dustin Atlas/Erin Bowman – Fake Ass Friends
  • Echosmith – Over My Head
  • The Wrecks – James Dean
  • Kendrick Lamar, SZA – All The Stars
  • HRVY – Personal
  • Liam Payne/J Balvin – Familiar
  • Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment (RE-ENTRY)
  • Selena Gomez – Back To You (DEBUT)
  • Maren Morris – Rich
  • Hundred Handed – Too Good
  • lovelytheband – Broken
  • Meghan Trainor – Let You Be Right (DEBUT)

~ Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment has apparently left the countdown after a short three weeks and is now back on Hit-Bound. I'm hoping it can redebut sometime soon because it deserves to do well. But even if it doesn't, it's technically eligible for my Top 45 songs of 2018.

~ This week, Selena Gomez brings Back To You from the soundtrack for season 2 of the Netflix series, 13 Reasons Why. It is definitely a step up from her previous solo work. It still doesn't reach the height of her older work, but I think it's enjoyable for what it is.

~ Let You Be Right sounds exactly like No Excuses. Meghan Trainor is probably one of the least original pop artists currently.

~ So I heard Familiar on Hits 1 for the first time this past week and I did not realize they edited out J Balvin. I have to say Hits 1, that was a really shitty move. What's wrong with having some Spanish in a song that is full of Latin vibes??? He's pretty much the reason this song is good. Sometimes I just don't understand this station.


Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Kendrick Lamar/SZA – All The Stars
2. Liam Payne/J Balvin – Familiar
3. Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment
4. The Wrecks – James Dean
5. Sugarland/Taylor Swift – Babe


Blurb Next To Me
~ And just like that, one of the most predictable things has happened as 5 Seconds Of Summer have hit #1 with Want You Back. Normally, I'd be questioning this given that the song really isn't that big. But I'll admit, it's a solid track and after last week's terrible #1, I was very happy with this. So yeah. I wouldn't mind it spending more time at the top if it means we can keep some other songs away.

~ And out of nowhere, Maroon 5 – Wait makes a rebound back into the Top 5. I've been losing interest in this song lately, but now I've had it. This song is just not good as is the majority of their latest album (with a few exceptions). Maroon 5 has become The Adam Levine Experience.

~ So I have been growing into Taylor Swift – Delicate lately. It's actually a pretty decent song and it might get promoted to green soon. There are still some moments that I find boring. But it's a chill song and I can appreciate that, especially since it's different for Taylor Swift.

~ However, as you probably noticed, I have grown out of Meghan Trainor – No Excuses and Marshmello/Anne-Marie – Friends. Both of them suck ass in the lyrical department. From Meghan Trainor putting down men for no reason to Anne-Marie being rude to a friend who happened to like her, these songs just don't do it for me anymore.

~ Lauv – I Like Me Better has finally dropped out of the Top 30. I'm still not sure why this was a big hit and why people like this song. There is honestly no better definition of bland and generic than this song.

~ Alice Merton – No Roots has done absolutely nothing these past few weeks and it's literally just sitting here hogging up a spot that could be occupied by a much better song that can actually do well. It's time to let go of this one, Hits 1.

~ Meanwhile, Drake – God's Plan has fallen near the Bottom 5 for a song that's arguably the biggest song of the year so far. They do this every year. Last year was Despacito (although that did okay, it didn't do nearly as well as it should've) and the year before that was One Dance. While I don't love God's Plan by any means, I do find it to be a catchy song and it's definitely better than a lot of the songs ranked above it.

~ I've also been losing interest in Charlie Puth – How Long. I'm mostly just tired of hearing it. Voicenotes finally came out and I haven't finished listening to it yet, but it's definitely a step up from Nine Track Mind. The album cover was changed a few days before the release and I kinda liked the other one better, but the current one is good too I guess.

~ As far as the exits go, Live In The Moment went too soon, but we'll (hopefully) see it back here sometime in the future. What's annoying is that Feel It Still is still here. We also say goodbye to Let You Down, which I was slowly getting back of. But it was definitely a good song and it lived a good life here.


Top 20 Review
0 – Crap:
20. Camila Cabello – Never Be The Same

1 – Bad:
19. Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey – The Middle
18. Imagine Dragons – Thunder

2 – Mediocre:
17. Meghan Trainor – No Excuses
16. Maroon 5 – Wait
15. Marshmello/Anne-Marie – Friends

3 – Decent:
14. Shawn Mendes – In My Blood
13. Ariana Grande – No Tears Left To Cry
12. Taylor Swift – Delicate

4 – Good:
NONE

5 – Great:
11. Niall Horan – On The Loose
10. Halsey – Alone
9. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line – Meant To Be
8. The Weeknd/Kendrick Lamar – Pray For Me
7. Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes
6. Rudimental/Jess Glynne/Macklemore/Dan Caplen – These Days
5. 5 Seconds Of Summer – Want You Back
4. Demi Lovato – Tell Me You Love Me
3. Charlie Puth/Kehlani – Done For Me
2. Walk The Moon – One Foot
1. Panic! At The Disco – Say Amen (Saturday Night)

Overall Score: 72/100 = 72% (B)


Throwback Pick Of The Week: Backstreet Boys – I Want It That Way

Most Missed Countdown Song: Owl City and Carly Rae Jepsen – Good Time

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: OneRepublic/Logic – Start Again

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: The Chainsmokers/Coldplay – Something Just Like This (#3)


My Top 5 Picks
1. Bad Wolves – Zombie
2. Panic! At The Disco – Say Amen (Saturday Night)
3. Walk The Moon – One Foot
4. Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days
5. Charlie Puth/Kehlani – Done For Me

99 comments:

  1. Nice For What > God's Plan

    Done For Me might just be Charlie's best song yet.

    Also, please get rid of Feel It Still!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I hate Done for Me and Feel It Still. They're so annoying.

      Delete
  2. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  3. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Post Malone - Better Now

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nowhere Fast grew back on me. I'm starting to like it again.

    ReplyDelete
  5. NEW MUSIC ALERT: Kris Wu - Like That

    Kris Wu's new single "Like That" has shot to #1 on iTunes, dethroning "Don't Go Breaking My Heart", as it slips to #2.

    ReplyDelete
  6. What are your weekend countdown predictions for 5/19/18? And what’s the AT40 so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekend Countdown Predictions for 5/19/2018:
      Exits:
      Good Old Days
      Beautiful Trauma
      End Game

      Entrants:
      All the Stars
      Back to You
      Fake Friends

      #1: Whatever It Takes (1st Week!!!)

      Biggest Drop: Lights Down Low (-19)

      Biggest Jump: IDGAF (+18)

      HitBound entrants:
      Youngblood
      Nevermind
      I Like It

      Delete
  7. This comment section is a mess.

    ReplyDelete
  8. So I heard I Like It on Hits 1 last night and they did cut all the Spanish out. Worst part is, they didn't even have anything else to put in where the other verses were! It was Cardi B singing the first verse than the chorus three times. That was it. That was the most pathetic radio edited song I have heard.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I actually like the Spanish parts of that song.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. This. Easily one of my favorites from back in the day. In fact, I'd say this is one of their best songs from them.

      And then, there's also their other song from that album, Larger Than Life, which I believe came out in late 1999. That one is pretty good, too. I hear both of these songs while I'm at work often.

      Delete
  10. AT40 countdown post is now out as I celebrate my one-year anniversary on my blog! I hope you enjoy!

    http://sxmhits1wc.blogspot.com/2018/05/at40-camila-cabello-1-week-of-may-19.html

    ReplyDelete
  11. NEW MUSIC ALERT THAT I PROBABLY ONLY CARE ABOUT:

    Steve Aoki/Lil Yatchy/AJR - Pretender

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Collaborating with those two artists is a big no no. Steve Aoki should know better.

      Delete
    2. Well I guess I'm going to be the only one who likes this.

      Delete
    3. Because your the only one who likes AJR and won't shut up about them.

      Delete
    4. Imagine Steve Aoki collaborating with Ariana Grande, or Camila Cabello, or maybe Hailee Steinfeld. I wonder what WAMB10 will say about that?

      Delete
    5. @Montavis I would be totally good with that.I like them all

      Delete
    6. Well in that case, WAMB10 would like to be friends with you just for that. :)

      Delete
    7. Well, Dylan probably posted it because it’s an interesting collab. I would’ve never expected those three artists to get together and make a song, so I’d be interested in hearing about it.

      (Lil Yachty kills this thing for me tho. So if I ever end up hating it, that’s probably why.)

      Delete
    8. He also did a remix of Mic Drop with BTS and Desiigner, which was not to my liking. Although I haven't heard his new single, seeing the two artists he collaborated with (Lil Yachty and AJR) is sure to turn some people off.

      Delete
    9. If anyone here is to like at least one thing that has to do with AJR it's this.

      Delete
    10. I like enough songs by AJR already though. I don’t need another one with Lil Yachty in it.

      Delete
    11. But AJR are completely shitty and they have no concept of what is good music, it's just the type of genre blending narcissistic, millennial pandering entitlement BS that I fucking hate.

      Delete
    12. I really only enjoy them because I enjoy pretty much every kind of music except trap. It’s hard for me to hate an average pop/alt group like that.

      Delete
    13. Except, their not really pop or alt, it's just shit that spans all the fucking genres from pop, alt, electro, to country, and more.

      Delete
    14. When the hell did AJR do country?

      Delete
    15. And maybe that's why I think they're interesting? There are hardly any groups out there that can do as many genres like that, and I like that ability, so that's part of why I enjoy to them.

      Delete
    16. Them touching on all those genres is one thing. Them succeeding at it is another.

      Delete
    17. I mean they do have a unique sound.

      Delete
    18. Just because it's unique doesn't make it inherently good.

      Delete
    19. Adrian: In my opinion, they kinda did. I think their songs are catchy.

      Delete
    20. But the lyrics are by far the worst, especially on Weak, Bud Like You, I'm Not Famous, The Good Part, and pretty much all of their music. It's just a bunch of pandering to dumb 20 and 30 something year old millennial snowflakes who act like entitled brats like everything should be handed to them on a fucking silver platter.

      Delete
    21. When the fuck do they act like entitled brats?

      Delete
    22. Do you even pay attention to the lyrics?

      Almost all of their songs leave them acting like entitled millennial assholes who think the world belongs to them. It's dumbed-down, insincere, cliche and everything wrong with mainstream music. This is what happens when you take three middle schoolers with an awful excuse for a world view, lock them up in solitary for ten years and then tell them to write an album. The lyrics here are so goddamn immature they would make Simple Plan roll their eyes. Seriously. Want proof? There's one line on I'm Not Famous that goes

      "Where my haters, where my haters?
      I don't got 'em, I'm not famous, no."

      Well, I hate to break it to you fellas, but you've got plenty of haters now. Because your music is atrocious.

      I mean, almost all of The Click is filled with this sort of pretentious "All about me attitude" that I cannot fucking stand. It's like Me Too times 10.

      Actually listen to the lyrics for once and you might get my picture.

      Delete
  12. My weekend countdown predictions for 5/19/18:
    Exits:
    Beautiful Trauma
    Good Old Days
    End Game

    Entrants:
    All The Stars
    Back To You
    Fake A** Friends

    #1: Whatever It Takes

    Biggest Drop: Thunder

    Biggest Jump: Sit Next To Me

    Hit Bound Entrants:
    Youngblood
    Nevermind
    I Like It

    ReplyDelete
  13. Bad news Montavis, Jacob Satorious is back with his new song on the YouTube 15.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. ARE YOU KIDDING ME???!!! OH NO!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. It'll likely not do anything.

      Delete
    3. Jacob can’t sing either, he sounds like a kid whenever he sings.

      Delete
    4. ...he is a kid? He's 15.

      Delete
    5. He’s a teenager but it looks like that he sounds like a 10 year old.

      Delete
    6. But good news Montavis, Shawn Mendes just released his new single called "Where Were You in the Moining?" as his 4th single. It is really good.

      Delete
  14. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  15. http://mymusicreviewingblog.blogspot.com/2018/05/personal-chart-51918-one-kiss-calvin.html

    ReplyDelete
  16. I think Wolves is at #45
    Feel It Still at #44
    and Havana at #43, am i right?

    ReplyDelete
  17. 42. How Long
    41. Bad At Love
    40. God's Plan
    39. No Roots
    38. Finesse
    37. Fake A** Friends
    36. Perfect
    35. All The Stars
    34. Lights Down Low
    33. Psycho
    32. Let Me Go
    31. Him & I
    30. Sit Next To Me
    29. Back To You
    28. Sober Up
    27. Let Me
    This is what i thing acording to DSR

    ReplyDelete
  18. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Shawn Mendes - Where Were You in the Morning?

    ReplyDelete
  19. 23. Mine
    22. Hurt Somebody
    21. Pray For Me (?)
    20. No Tears Left To Cry
    19. I Like Me Better (???)
    18. Zombie
    17. IDGAF (Biggest Jump)
    16. Done For Me
    15. Meant To Be
    14. Alone
    13. In My Blood
    12. These Days
    11. No Excuses
    10. Wait

    ReplyDelete
  20. 9. Delicate

    Also, Hits 1 played Welcome To The Black Parade last night. Lol they did this last year.

    ReplyDelete
  21. 6. On The Loose
    5. Tell Me You Love Me
    4. Say Amen (Saturday Night) (Yay)

    ReplyDelete
  22. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  23. UGH... THE MIDDLE IS BACK AT #1.

    ReplyDelete
  24. Our #1 this week is...






    The Middle.

    I'm so happy...

    ReplyDelete
  25. Bad news Adrian:
















    The Middle is officially back at #1 on the Weekend Countdown for an 8th week!!!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. It’s also bad news for me, three. By the way, I said it first.

      Delete
    2. GOOD NEWS For me! I still like the song

      Delete
    3. Chuckle Brothers: I can say the same about that.

      Delete
  26. So...what ever happened to Rose-Colored Boy?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Why you surprised that it seemed to flop? It should not be surprising that all of the good, catchy pop songs nowadays flop, and the shitty ones and overplayed ones (The Middle) take their place. I know I keep ranting about this, but it’s true and it’s sad.

      Delete
    2. I didn't say I was surprised I just wondered whata happened to it. Did you not understand the context of my comment?

      Delete
  27. Anybody what is the Hit Bound list?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. The Wrecks – James Dean
      Meghan Trainor – Let You Be Right
      lovelytheband – Broken
      Echosmith – Over My Head
      Dennis Lloyd – Nevermind (DEBUT)
      5 Seconds Of Summer – Youngblood (DEBUT)
      Sam Smith featuring Logic – Pray
      Calvin Harris featuring Dua Lipa – One Kiss
      In Real Life – Tattoo (How 'Bout You)
      Liam Payne featuring J. Balvin – Familiar
      Sugarland featuring Taylor Swift – Babe
      Cardi B. – I Like It (DEBUT)
      Maren Morris – Rich
      Hundred Handed – Too Good
      Portugal. The Man – Live In The Moment
      HRVY – Personal

      Sorry Montavis but this was taken straight from your blog lol

      Delete
  28. Alright, everyone! Here's the countdown post on my one-year anniversary of starting my blog! Enjoy!

    http://sxmhits1wc.blogspot.com/2018/05/zedd-maren-morris-8-week-of-may-19-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. New Music Alert AND #1 Recommendation for Hits 1 & American Top 40: Fifth Harmony – Don't Say You Love Me

    Your thoughts on this?

    ReplyDelete
  30. https://swegawafflehits1.blogspot.ca/2018/05/1000-pageview-special-billboard-hot-100.html

    Surprise!

    ReplyDelete
  31. I'm just gonna let you guys know that my countdown post will probably not be up today. Tomorrow if I'm lucky. If not then Monday.

    ReplyDelete
  32. Hot 100 Predictions: (Can I please not have Chase/ATR comment)

    1. This Is America- Childish Gambino
    2. Nice For What- Drake
    3. Psycho- Post Malone/Ty Dolla $ign
    4. God's Plan- Drake
    5. The Middle- Zedd/Maren Morris/Grey
    6. Meant To Be- Bebe Rexha/F.G.L.
    7. Never Be The Same- Camila Cabello(/Kane Brown)
    8. Look Alive- BlocBoy JB/Drake
    9. Whatever It Takes- Imagine Dragons
    10. No Tears Left To Cry- Ariana Grande

    And for God's sake, this is just a prediction that I'm making I know I could be wrong, I don't need to be told that.

    ReplyDelete
  33. My countdown post is out!

    http://sxmhits1weekendcountdownblog.blogspot.com/2018/05/zedd-8-week-of-may-19-2018.html

    ReplyDelete