Thursday, March 1, 2018

Year-End Special: Billboard Hot 100 of 2017

As you know, the Billboard Hot 100 is a lot different than the SiriusXM Hits 1 Weekend Countdown. It's a more accurate representation of the biggest songs in the country as it includes a bunch of rap songs that Hits 1 tends to not pick up on. In terms of how 2017 went overall, it was pretty bad, at least looking at this list. It seems like the rap music has gotten worse. That's not to say that there weren't a bunch of great songs, because there were. But aside from Shape Of You and Despacito, rap pretty much dominated. There are a bunch of songs here that I have never even heard before and I was very unpleased (Blogger tells me that's not a word apparently) listening to them. I apologize if I rant too much about rap music. But honestly, it's annoying how popular it's become lately. But like I said in one of my previous Year-End posts, I'll try to do a rant-it-out post, which is where I will vent out all of my frustration. Though I'm warning you now that are some complaints in this post about the rap music in this list. But anyway, now I'll be reviewing Billboard's Year-End chart for 2017. Color-coding works the way it usually does. There will be ten purple and ten orange songs because I feel like having that many. There will also be a Top 50 Review at the end of the post. I can't do a Top 100 Review because I just don't have that kind of time. So you'll have to live with just the Top 50. So with that, here are the Top 100 songs of 2017 according to Billboard!


Last Year's #1 Song: Justin Bieber – Love Yourself
The Countdown
100. Keith Urban/Carrie Underwood – The Fighter (#38)
99. XXXTentacion – Look At Me (#34)
98. Blackbear – Do Re Mi (#40)
97. Maroon 5/SZA – What Lovers Do (#9)
96. Camila Cabello/Young Thug – Havana (#2)
95. YFN Lucci/PnB Rock – Everyday We Lit (#33)
94. Dustin Lynch – Small Town Boy (#36)
93. Gucci Mane/Migos – I Get The Bag (#11)
92. Shawn Mendes – Treat You Better (#6)
91. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato – No Promises (#38)
90. Marian Hill – Down (#21)
89. Miley Cyrus – Malibu (#10)
88. Adele – Water Under The Bridge (#26)
87. Harry Styles – Sign Of The Times (#4)
86. Migos/Gucci Mane – Slippery (#29)
85. Jason Derulo/Nicki Minaj/Ty Dolla $ign – Swalla (#29)
84. P!nk – What About Us (#13)
83. Gucci Mane/Drake – Both (#41)
82. Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd – Starving (#12)
81. A Boogie Wit Da Hoodie/Kodak Black – Drowning (#38)
80. SZA/Travis Scott – Love Galore (#32)
79. Playboi Carti – Magnolia (#29)
78. Khalid – Young, Dumb, and Broke (#18)
77. Sam Smith – Too Good At Goodbyes (#4)
76. Luke Combs – Hurricane (#31)
75. Jon Bellion – All Time Low (#16)
74. Calvin Harris/Pharrell/Katy Perry/Big Sean – Feels (#20)
73. Katy Perry/Skip Marley – Chained To The Rhythm (#4)
72. Kane Brown/Lauren Alaina – What Ifs (#26)
71. Calvin Harris/Frank Ocean/Migos – Slide (#25)
70. D.R.A.M/Lil Yachty – Broccoli (#5)
69. Maroon 5/Future – Cold (#16)
68. Travis Scott/Kendrick Lamar – Goosebumps (#32)
67. Kesha – Praying (#22)
66. Kendrick Lamar/Rihanna – Loyalty (#14)
65. Drake – Passionfruit (#8)
64. Rae Sremmurd – Swang (#26)
63. Zay Hilfigerrr/Zayion McCall – Juju On That Beat (#5)
62. Kendrick Lamar – DNA (#4)
61. Ayo & Teo – Rolex (#20)
60. Aminé – Caroline (#11)
59. Halsey – Now Or Never (#17)
58. Twenty One Pilots – Heathens (#2)
57. Brett Young – In Case You Didn't Know (#19)
56. Post Malone/21 Savage – Rockstar (#1)
55. Kodak Black – Tunnel Vision (#6)
54. Shawn Mendes – Mercy (#15)
53. Yo Gotti/Nicki Minaj – Rake It Up (#8)
52. Migos – T-Shirt (#19)
51. Imagine Dragons – Thunder (#4)
50. J Balvin & Willy William/Beyoncé – Mi Gente (#3)
49. Justin Timberlake – Can't Stop The Feeling (#1)
48. 21 Savage – Bank Account (#12)
47. Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry (#6)
46. DJ Snake/Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You (#4)
45. Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still (#4)
44. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie – Rockabye (#9)
43. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj – Side To Side (#4)
42. The Chainsmokers – Paris (#6)
41. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello – Bad Things (#2)
40. Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill (#6)
39. Taylor Swift – Look What You Made Me Do (#1)
38. Maroon 5/Kendrick Lamar – Don't Wanna Know (#6)
37. Drake – Fake Love (#8)
36. Liam Payne/Quavo – Strip That Down (#10)
35. Big Sean – Bounce Back (#6)
34. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – I Feel It Coming (#4)
33. Rihanna – Love On The Brain (#5)
32. Niall Horan – Slow Hands (#11)
31. Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid – 1-800-273-8255 (#3)
30. Alessia Cara – Scars To Your Beautiful (#8)
29. Julia Michaels – Issues (#11)
28. Kyle/Lil Yachty – iSpy (#4)
27. Kygo/Selena Gomez – It Ain't Me (#10)
26. Zayn/Taylor Swift – I Don't Wanna Live Forever (#2)
25. Childish Gambino – Redbone (#12)
24. Cardi B – Bodak Yellow (#1)
23. Shawn Mendes – There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#6)
22. Charlie Puth – Attention (#5)
21. Khalid – Location (#16)
20. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – Starboy (#1)
19. Rae Sremmurd/Gucci Mane – Black Beatles (#1)
18. DJ Khaled/Rihanna/Bryson Tiller – Wild Thoughts (#2)
17. Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay (#7)
16. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic (#4)
15. French Montana/Swae Lee – Unforgettable (#3)
14. Future – Mask Off (#5)
13. Lil Uzi Vert – XO Tour Llif3 (#7)
12. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance The Rapper/Lil Wayne – I'm The One (#1)
11. James Arthur – Say You Won't Let Go (#11)
10. Post Malone/Quavo – Congratulations (#8)
  9. Imagine Dragons – Believer (#4)
  8. Sam Hunt – Body Like A Back Road (#6)
  7. The Chainsmokers/Halsey – Closer (#1)
  6. Migos/Lil Uzi Vert – Bad and Boujee (#1)
  5. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay – Something Just Like This (#3)
  4. Kendrick Lamar – Humble (#1)
  3. Bruno Mars – That's What I Like (#1)
  2. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber – Despacito (#1)
  1. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You (#1)


Shape of Blurbs
~ And we have another chart where Shape Of You is at the top. Definitely the most predictable thing this year. I talked about this in my review of Hits 1's Top 45 of 2017, but I don't think this song is worthy of being #1 of the year. What exactly is so amazingly special about it? It is a good song without a doubt. But Ed Sheeran has done better in my opinion. And when you compare this to previous songs ranking #1 on the Year-End Hot 100, it looks silly that a song like this with not very much to it is #1 of the whole year. Again, it's a good song. But there's nothing special about it that would make me ever rank it at #1 for the year.

~ Next we have Despacito at #2. I personally think this would've been a better choice for #1 just because I think the Latin genre deserves that kind of acknowledgement and, let's be real here, this song was a jam. But #2 is good enough. It spent 16 weeks at the top, tying the record for most weeks at #1 with One Sweet Day by Mariah Carey featuring Boyz II Men. Of course many were afraid that Despacito would break the record. Me personally, I didn't really care either way. I have nothing against Mariah Carey (please disregard all of my previous criticisms about her, she is indeed very talented). But I loved Despacito at the time enough to the point where I wouldn't have minded seeing it break the record. Some people hate the song for that reason alone, which doesn't make very much sense to me, but whatever I guess. I'm glad the song was as successful as it was. Latin-pop music deserves more recognition than it gets. Seriously. We have only two Latin songs on this list.

~ Migos/Lil Uzi Vert – Bad and Boujee just barely missed the Top 5. I'm having a really hard time understanding why this song was so big. It's nothing more than some lame beat and terrible "rapping". Seriously, this song is shit and I find it quite annoying that this was a #1 hit. I don't know how anyone could possibly enjoy this. It's song like these that make me lose faith in music if this is really one of the Top 10 songs of the year in the country. This is not okay.

~ I'm glad James Arthur – Say You Won't Let Go ended up getting as big as it got. It originally seemed like one of those songs Hits 1 would randomly pick up and it ends up not doing much. But sure enough, this song made it big and actually ranked at #11, which is quite impressive, especially considering that its chart peak is also #11. I think it's a sweet song. I can understand if people find it boring. But I actually like slower love songs. I don't love it now as much as before. But I still like it to some extent.

~ DJ Khaled's two big hits this year both ranked in the Top 20. One I thought was pretty mediocre, while the other is easily one of the best songs of the year. I'm The One had a collection of artists featured and Bieber was the only one that sounded okay. Lil Wayne ruins almost everything he touches with his awful voice. The production was also pretty weak. Khaled did a pretty mediocre job here. But with Wild Thoughts, he easily redeemed himself. This is another one of those songs where the simplicity works very well and sounds very good. I love the Latin vibe and the guitar sample from Santana fits really nicely. Rihanna and Bryson Tiller both sound great. This was definitely a step-up and it's a shame it didn't do as well. It definitely deserved at least one week at the top. But it just so happened to be the song stuck behind Despacito, which was unfortunate. But regardless, it's still one of the best songs of the year.

~ I enjoyed Black Beatles mostly towards the end of 2016. Then it kind of faded away from my personal music rotation. But I do still think it's a good song. I'm not exactly sure why I like it. The production doesn't suck and Swae Lee's voice actually sounds above average here. I guess you can say I liked it as more of a guilty pleasure. But I feel like it was a pretty solid track. I can't say the same thing about Swang, which is one of the worst songs of the year. This one was just not good and it's not hard to figure out why. Literally you just have to listen to the chorus.

~ Fortunately, songs like Cardi B – Bodak Yellow and Kyle/Lil Yachty – iSpy missed the Top 20. Both peaked in the Top 5 and I honestly just hate both of them. I absolutely despise Lil Yachty. I don't think there's a single song he's part of that I actually like. I think he is an abomination to music. Thankfully, none of his solo work made it on here. His features are bad enough. iSpy is another one of those songs that just goes to show that you don't need talent to get a Top 5 hit. The vocals here are not good and I don't like the production. Bodak Yellow doesn't need much explanation. Cardi B is very much a Nicki Minaj wannabe and I see a lot of comparisons between the two. Though it's pretty obvious who has more talent. The fact that Bodak Yellow actually hit #1 and Nicki hasn't even had a #1 hit is slightly infuriating because only these days can some random rapper with little to no talent pop out and get a #1 on her first try. There is nothing appealing about Bodak Yellow. The pacing is awful. It's very slow and easy to lose someone's attention. The lyrical content speaks for itself. Cardi B's voice is almost unbearable. I do not think she is a good rapper. I really can't see myself liking anything she releases. Her newer song, Bartier Cardi, is really bad too (seriously why does everyone want to have 21 Savage in their songs?).

~ A little further down, we have a lot of pop songs that just were not good. Songs like Don't Wanna Know, Love On The Brain, Issues, Look What You Made Me Do, Strip That Down, Side To Side, and Bad Things all made it on to Hits 1. I've already talked about why I dislike each of these. But I just wanted to note that it's not only the rap songs getting my criticism. If you've been following this blog and my weekly countdown posts, then you should already know that.

~ It feels like DJ Snake/Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You was released such a long time ago. It was released in August of 2016, which I guess is a little late in the year. But it's been such a long time since I've heard it that it looks strange to this song here. That's just me though. But I still like the song. Justin Bieber sounds really good here and DJ Snake has stepped it up from songs like You Know You Like It and Middle. While I liked the latter, I still thought Let Me Love You was better.

~ I legitimately do not understand why people like 21 Savage. His voice is absolutely atrocious. Like Lil Wayne, he ruins just about everything he touches. Rockstar by Post Malone may have been more tolerable without his verse. But with someone as bad as him, it's hard to imagine how a solo single would sound. And of course, we got Bank Account. This song is hard to listen to. Aside from the shitty vocals, the lyrics here are awful and the production is almost not even there. That's how underwhelming it is. Seriously, why do people like this guy? I need a legitimate explanation because this man has no talent whatsoever.

~ Just barely making the Top 50, we have J Balvin & Willy William/Beyoncé – Mi Gente. It took me a while to realize how disliked this song was. Sure, it's not as good as Despacito, nor is it the best thing Latin pop has to offer. But I just really like it. As a Latino myself, I like Latin pop music, which is probably why I like this song. The production is not amazing and it gets repetitive. But I just think it's catchy. I don't know. I like the vocals and Beyoncé's contribution is pretty good. All I can really say is that I'm glad this song was successful.

~ And for the second year in a row, D.R.A.M/Lil Yachty – Broccoli made it on to the Year-End chart. I pretty much ranted about this song when I counted down my Bottom 10 songs of 2016. It's essentially your typical rap song with shitty lyrics and vocals. But the production is unbearable and it makes the song nearly impossible to listen to. This song has no place here again for the second year. It's bad enough it was here last year. And like I said earlier, anything Lil Yachty is part of is almost bound to be garbage.

~ Calvin Harris' two big singles, Slide and Feels, managed to make the Year-End chart thankfully. I praised both songs when I counted down my Top 45 songs of 2017. Calvin Harris went for something different here and it really worked out well. I'm so glad he managed to redeem himself after the extremely mediocre This Is What You Came For. I'm glad these songs were moderately successful as they are very good. Calvin Harris did a great job here.

~ Playboi Carti – Magnolia is another rap song that I can't not mention. This song is honestly just awful. Throughout the whole song is that lame beat an endless loop. If it wasn't boring to begin with, it certainly wouldn't take long for it become boring. The background sounds are awful and this guy sounds as unintelligent as almost every other rapper here aside from Kendrick and Logic. And there's some kind of high-pitched squeal that you hear multiple times. It sounds awful and I don't know who thought that was okay. Frankly I don't why songs like these are even getting made. Like this is a forgettable piece of garbage. When putting songs together, I would think you'd want to release something that would have a long-lasting impact. No one is going remember this along with a lot of other rap songs in this list.

~ Gucci Mane and Migos had two collaborations that made this list and, not surprisingly, neither of them are good. I'd be shocked if they were. The last rap song I want to mention is Look At Me. First off, the song is just barely over two minutes, which is probably the shortest song I've heard in a long time. And of course, he has nothing intelligent to say at all during those two minutes. The lyrics are awful and this guy looks high in the single cover. I seriously don't know how anyone can consider this music. This is a disgrace to music. It's so sad that songs like these actually get big. And only in the U.S. would a song like this actually chart.

~ We have a lot of country music in the bottom half of the list. Normally, I wouldn't think much of it. But because of how much god-awful rap music I've had to suffer through while putting this post together, I found these country songs to be rather refreshing. I get that country songs and rap songs are not comparable. But seriously, when you've listened to a lot of crap, anything that's decent at the very least suddenly gets a little bit better. Songs like Kane Brown/Lauren Alaina – What Ifs, Brett Young – In Case You Didn't Know, Luke Combs – Hurricane, and Dustin Lynch – Small Town Boy are what I'm talking about. None of them are great songs, aside from maybe What Ifs. But I'm being nice to them right now because frankly, it's nice to not have to listen to another rap song. More talent went into these songs, which is something half of this list is missing.

~ Finally, we come to Keith Urban/Carrie Underwood – The Fighter just barely making this list. I talked about this song in one of my previous Year-End posts where I listed the 25 best songs that failed to make it onto Hits 1. The Fighter is probably the least-country song from the country genre in 2017. It's a lot more pop, upbeat, and fast and that's not necessarily a bad thing. I like the production and I think the song is pretty fun. I like the duet between Keith Urban and Carrie Underwood. They've sounded better, but they still sound good here. Some may not like it because of how poppy it is. But frankly, that doesn't really bother me as much as it probably should. It's a catchy song and honestly, I like it for what it is. I'm glad it was able to make this list, even if it is at #100.


Top 50 Review
– Crap:
50. 21 Savage – Bank Account
49. Future – Mask Off
48. Lil Uzi Vert – XO Tour Llif3
47. Migos/Lil Uzi Vert – Bad and Boujee
46. Cardi B – Bodak Yellow
45. Kyle/Lil Yachty – iSpy
44. Julia Michaels – Issues
43. Liam Payne/Quavo – Strip That Down
42. Childish Gambino – Redbone
41. Post Malone/Quavo – Congratulations
40. Maroon 5/Kendrick Lamar – Don't Wanna Know
39. Drake – Fake Love
38. Bruno Mars – 24K Magic
37. Rihanna – Love On The Brain
36. Sam Hunt – Body Like A Back Road
35. Bruno Mars – That's What I Like

1 – Bad:
34. Taylor Swift – Look What You Made Me Do
33. Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry
32. Ariana Grande/Nicki Minaj – Side To Side
31. Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay

2 – Mediocre:
30. Zayn/Taylor Swift – I Don't Wanna Live Forever
29. Machine Gun Kelly/Camila Cabello – Bad Things
28. DJ Khaled/Justin Bieber/Quavo/Chance The Rapper/Lil Wayne – I'm The One
27. Shawn Mendes – There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back
26. The Chainsmokers/Halsey – Closer

3 – Decent:
25. Khalid – Location
24. Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still
23. Big Sean – Bounce Back
22. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You
21. James Arthur – Say You Won't Let Go

4 – Good:
20. Rae Sremmurd/Gucci Mane – Black Beatles
19. Niall Horan – Slow Hands

5 – Great:
18. The Chainsmokers – Paris
17. Alessia Cara – Scars To Your Beautiful
16. J Balvin & Willy William/Beyoncé – Mi Gente
15. Justin Timberlake – Can't Stop The Feeling
14. DJ Snake/Justin Bieber – Let Me Love You
13. Imagine Dragons – Believer
12. Charlie Puth – Attention
11. Clean Bandit/Sean Paul/Anne-Marie – Rockabye
10. French Montana/Swae Lee – Unforgettable
9. Kendrick Lamar – Humble
8. Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill
7. Luis Fonsi & Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber – Despacito
6. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – Starboy
5. DJ Khaled/Rihanna/Bryson Tiller – Wild Thoughts
4. Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid – 1-800-273-8255
3. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – I Feel It Coming
2. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay – Something Just Like This

BONUS: 6 – Best Song Of The Year:
1. Kygo/Selena Gomez – It Ain't Me

Final Score: 128/250 = 51.2% (C)


Throwback Pick Of The Year: Ke$ha – TiK ToK (#1 song of 2010) (since her birthday is today)

Most Missed Hot 100 Song: Justin Bieber – Love Yourself (#1 song of 2016) (since his birthday is today)

#1 Recommendation For Billboard: Robert DeLong/K.Flay – Favorite Color Is Blue

Favorite Song One Year Ago: Coldplay/Beyoncé – Hymn For The Weekend


My Top 10 Picks
1. Kygo/Selena Gomez – It Ain't Me
2. The Chainsmokers/Coldplay – Something Just Like This
3. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – I Feel It Coming
4. P!nk – What About Us
5. Kesha – Praying
6. Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid – 1-800-273-8255
7. DJ Khaled/Rihanna/Bryson Tiller – Wild Thoughts
8. The Weeknd/Daft Punk – Starboy
9. Jon Bellion – All Time Low
10. Calvin Harris/Pharrell/Katy Perry/Big Sean – Feels


My Bottom 10 Picks
1. XXXTentacion – Look At Me
2. 21 Savage – Bank Account
3. Future – Mask Off
4. Lil Uzi Vert – XO Tour Llif3
5. Migos/Lil Uzi Vert – Bad and Boujee
6. D.R.A.M/Lil Yachty – Broccoli
7. Playboi Carti – Magnolia
8. Cardi B – Bodak Yellow
9. Kyle/Lil Yachty – iSpy
10. Rae Sremmurd – Swang


That concludes my review of Billboard's Year-End Hot 100 for 2017. The Top 50 score was pretty average, which I expected. 2017 could've definitely been better as far as music goes. It seems like the rap music got worse. Hopefully we don't see this kind of list again at the end of 2018. We've been on a decline for the past couple of years and these lists are getting worse each year. Hopefully 2018 will be different, though I doubt it will be. On a more positive note, there were a lot of very good songs and I will remember each and every song that made it into my Top 10 picks. All of them were amazing. And with that, I have (finally) completed my Year-End posts for 2017. I wanted to do a Year-End chart for the Hit 45 Chart despite my lack of blogging on there. But I really don't think it'll end up happening at this point. So I'll just say that this is the end of the 2017 Year-End posts. Now I want to get some specials out soon because I haven't done any milestone posts in forever and I have some ideas in mind. So hopefully those will start coming out soon. But that's all I have for you guys today. Enjoy the remainder of your week and I'll be back this weekend for the Weekend Countdown post. Thanks for reading and I hope you enjoyed. :)

95 comments:

  1. First, and whenever I'm near a computer, I'll try to share my thoughts on all of these later on.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is pretty close to my own thoughts, with a few exceptions. Still, great post, glad it's finally out.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Nice to see that you got this out! I'll maybe say more once I have more time.

    ReplyDelete
  4. Nice post as usual, I agree with a lot of these picks. When I’m at a computer I’ll say more.

    ReplyDelete
  5. Nice post, Adrian!

    ReplyDelete
  6. Hey Adrian, I saw that you have every song in red that are in my Bottom 10 Songs of 2017 except for Location.

    ReplyDelete
  7. BREAKING NEWS:

    NO EXCUSES IS NOW ON HITS 1.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, you're late on that one. It premiered on Hits 1 twelve hours ago.

      Delete
  8. I agree with you on your #1, #2, #5, and #7 picks in your Bottom 10.

    ReplyDelete
  9. Alright, time to share some thoughts:

    - To be quite honest, I was surprised to see Shape of You at the top, considering how much more successful Despacito was. They debuted around the same time, and Despacito spent 4 more weeks at #1 than Shape of You did, so I expected the former to be #1.
    - I disagree about the fact that Latin music needs more acknowledgement, because Billboard is an American chart that mostly features American music. There's probably a chart in Mexico or wherever these songs are popular that these songs can get recognition in, but the US charts aren't the place for it.
    - Only stupid teenagers who have no sense in what real music is liked Bad and Boujee, so I am not surprised at how popular this was. But because the supporters of this are this stupid, the ones who understand what real music is, like us, have to suffer.
    - I'm glad that I'm not the only one who likes SYWLG. It got slammed by a lot of critics, so I thought liking it was unpopular.
    - Both DJ Khaled songs are good, but Wild Thoughts is much better than I'm The One in my opinion. And I think Quavo ruined I'm The One more than Lil Wayne did.
    - My only problems with Black Beatles are the laziness of it and Gucci Mane. Otherwise, it would be half-decent. Swang, on the other hand, doesn't have any good qualities.
    - In my opinion, iSpy is actually not that bad. It has a beat, a flow, a good rapper trying to get attention, as he has good lyricism, and Lil Yachty not rapping about much Lil Yachty-type stuff. Yeah, his voice still sucks, but it's hard to hate the song just because he's in it. Plus, that chorus always gets stuck in your head. However, there's not really anything good about Bodak Yellow, and as you said it doesn't really need an explanation.
    - I agree on Love On The Brain, Issues, LWYMMD, and Bad Things. The other three were guilty pleasures for me, but I can see the hate.
    - I will not complain about Let Me Love You because it's still a great song, although I still think the drop is underwhelming.
    - PREACH! I agree with every single thing you said about 21 Savage, except for the Lil Wayne part because I don't hate him.
    - Mi Gente >>>>>>>>>>>>> Despacito. But the only thing I really like about Mi Gente is the beat, and I'm not too sure why.
    - Yeah, Broccoli sucks. DRAM's voice is the worst part in my opinion, along with using broccoli to reference weed.
    - Both Slide and Feels are awesome, but Feels is much better. It has so many good vibes, and I love Big Sean's verse. My second-favorite urban song of the year, behind I Feel It Coming.
    - This is basically Magnolia: "Yah! Yah! Yah! Yah! Yah! Yah!" I don't know anyone who liked this, gladly.
    - Both and I Get The Bag are garbage. And Look At Me is also my least favorite song on here. Not my least favorite overall of this year, but it came close.
    - The country songs were good, and from what I remember about them, The Fighter > ICYDK > What Ifs > Hurricane > Small Town Boy > Body Like A Back Road. I didn't like the latter two.
    - As for your color-coding on the top 50, I agree with five out of the six oranges there. But I still don't understand what's so bad about 24K Magic or That's What I Like. Songs I like such as Strip That Down, Redbone, and Don't Wanna Know I can see the hate for, but for those two it's hard.
    - The only song I don't like in your great tier is Despacito. Out of those my favorites are 15, 13, 11, 10, 4, 3, and 2.
    - Overall, 2017 was an okay year for music. The pop was pretty good, but the rap not so much. 2018 is pretty good so far, as there's not too much rap dominating. Hopefully it can stay that way.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. That and SoY actually managed to spend more time in both the top 5 and top 10 overall than most if not any other song before it, so maybe that's why it was #1, because it broke a couple of records.

      Considering that we get artists from Canada and the U.K. to cross over, I think we can handle more Latin artists crossing over. Also, yes, other Latin countries do have pop charts, but I don't think that they should stick to the Latin world, they do deserve the crossover success in the U.S.

      #BlameStreaming #StreamingIsOP #NerfStreaming

      Boring WGWAG John Mayer wanna is obvious, that's why.

      Mi Gente's beat is literally a dying goat, that's why it gets the hate that it deserves.

      I don't consider Feels to be a very Urban song, I mean it feels more like a disco-tropical pop song if anything.

      Psycho and God's Plan are dominating streaming and sales, rap is still dominate.

      Delete
    2. Miles: He said not TOO much rap.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    4. CHASE, HOW MANY TIMES MUST I TELL YOU I FUCKING HATE YOU AND I WANT YOU TO GO AWAY!?!?!?!?!?!?!

      Delete
  10. That drop from How Long on pop radio filled me with joy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Yeah, I saw. My goodness! I thought this had a shot at #1 there, but never mind. It's falling harder than expected.

      Delete
    2. Although it's definitely a lock for the Year-End list, sorry Dylan =P

      Delete
  11. So, some big news: Finesse is officially #1 on overall radio. Yup.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This is GOOD news, so shut up WAMB, and it was bound to happen since Perfect was dropping anyway.

      Also, No Excuses is now in the top 5 on iTunes.

      Delete
    2. Yep, good news indeed. Definitely pleased by this. Bruno Mars having another #1 makes my day.

      Delete
    3. Oh and Miles, not to be that guy, but you really shouldn't be calling out WAMB10 like that just because she has a different taste in music. Sure, my taste isn't that good either, but at least we can agree on some things.

      Delete
    4. Miles, this has nothing to do what WAMB10 was saying. WAMB10 was fine.

      Delete
    5. .: If Finesse could dethrone Perfect, that would be good.

      Miles: I hope you're being nice to me.

      Delete
    6. Finesse DID dethrone Perfect your fucking moron. And no I'm not gonna be nice to you, I'm gonna be as rude and hostile to you as much as I fucking can because I fucking hate you.

      Delete
    7. I hate Finesse because Cardi B ruins there song.

      Delete
    8. No she doesn't if anything it's her best performance to date. You just hate rappers on anything, whether it be pop, rap, R&B, etc. And she's not even on the song that much, she gets one line in the intro and provides extra vocals for the backing in the bridge "Yeah we got it goin' got it goin' on, don't it feels so good to be us (ayy)"

      Delete
    9. I'm quite happy about this! Shame that it won't even hit #2 on the actual Hot 100, because Psycho is about to debut at that spot.

      And with WAMB10, this doesn't surprise me given her 24K Magic slander a while back.

      Delete
    10. I hate Cardi B’s music in general.

      Delete
    11. I don’t like her music either. But her presence in Finesse is tolerable and it doesn’t affect the song much. It’s still very catchy.

      Delete
    12. I mean, yeah she's basically a Nicki clone, yet I think she's better than her. I still hate Bartier Cardi and Bodak Yellow, but No Limit is good and I think both her and Nicki are the best parts of MotorSport.

      Delete
  12. Also, it is funny how all this action is going on in pop radio in the Top 10 and Lights Down Low is just there at #8 chillin'.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I love that so.... wait I'm over that song. I hate it!!'

      Delete
    2. ^Of course. Because you get sick of every single song.

      Delete
  13. My top 45 song on Hits 1 in 2017 is FINALLY OUT!!!!!!!!!!!!! RELIEF!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

    Check it out, please :)

    ReplyDelete
  14. New American Top 40 review post is out! I hope you enjoy!

    http://sxmhits1wc.blogspot.com/2018/03/at40-dua-lipa-3-week-of-march-3-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Cyrj8zHta8w

    ReplyDelete
  16. http://kworb.net/pop/

    And just like that DJ Khaled's new single is #1 on iTunes. Also what is with The Champion back in the top 20?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hmm...I wonder does DJ Khaled have another hit under his belt or this is just built off of hype.

      And The Champion near the Top 5? That's quite an unexpected move. Not sure what's going on there, but I'm not complaining since I do like it.

      Delete
  17. What are your weekend countdown predictions for 3/3/18?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Weekend Countdown predictions:
      Exits:
      Too Good at Goodbyes
      Sorry Not Sorry
      Slow Hands

      Entrants:
      Whatever it Takes
      Want You back
      Woman

      #1: Let Me Go (1st Week)

      HitBound Entrants:
      Fake Friends
      No Excuses

      Delete
    2. Woman is not going to debut.

      Delete
    3. I’m totally with you on that one exit, Chase.

      Delete
    4. WAMB10: I do wish it did, though. I would love to see it happen, but it's not likely at this point unfortunately.

      Delete
  18. So did Hits 1 updated the voting poll? Which songs are unavailable for vote and what songs are entering Hit Bound?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. ^This is false.

      But however, both of those songs are on Hits 1.

      Delete
    3. Anonymous: No they didn't you idiot!!! You are a moron and you need to fucking leave the room right now... or else.

      Delete
    4. Shut up Chase and fucking leave.

      Delete
    5. Ok fine, Chase. Goodbye!

      Delete
    6. Ummmm.... Anonymous I need to apologize to you. My mistake is... I love you so much. I just need you to stop doing all this nonsense. I just want you to be nice to your friends. See, that's all I have to say.

      Delete
  19. I loved it.

    -Remy

    ReplyDelete
  20. My weekend countdown predictions for 3/3/18:
    Exits:
    Too Good At Goodbyes
    Sorry Not Sorry
    Slow Hands

    Entrants:
    Whatever It Takes
    Want You Back
    Woman

    #1: Let Me Go

    Biggest Drop: Believer

    Biggest Jump: Pray For Me

    Hit Bound Entrants:
    Fake Friends
    No Excuses

    ReplyDelete
  21. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  22. OK so I know what is #1 this week. I know it from the Hits 1 schedule on the SiriusXM website. I did comment it above, but I decided not to spoil anyone. Let's just say, Adrian will NOT be happy.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think I know. I’m not surprised.

      Delete
    2. Yep. I was right. Kinda pissed if you ask me. But I’ll rant more about it in my post.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  23. Countdown predictions:

    Exits:
    Too Good At Goodbyes
    Praying
    Miss You

    Entrants:
    All Falls Down
    Want You Back
    Whatever It Takes

    #1: The Middle

    Biggest Jump:
    Lights Down Low

    Biggest Drop:
    Ahead of Myself

    Hitbound Entrants:
    No Excuses
    Fake Friends

    ReplyDelete
  24. Hitbound List (part 1):

    Bazzi - Mine
    Meghan Trainor - No Excuses (Debut)
    Khalid - Young, Dumb, & Broke
    Rudimental/Jess Glynne/Macklemore/Dan Caplen - These Days
    Niall Horan - On The Loose
    Portugal. The Man - Live In The Moment

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Hitbound List (part 2):

      Kesha/Dap-Kings Horns - Woman
      Post Malone/Ty Dolla $ign - Psycho
      30 Seconds To Mars - Walk On Water
      Marshmello/Anne-Marie - Friends
      Welshly Arms - Legendary
      Keala Settle - This Is Me
      Alice Merton - No Roots (Debut)
      Dustin Atlas/Erin Bowman - Fake Friends (Debut)

      Delete
    2. It looks like we lost 3 songs this week. Whatever It Takes and All Falls Down will be debuting on the countdown this week. However, it looks like Don't Wanna Feel It is gone for good. It was a decent song that deserved more recognition. Fake Friends is definitely the best song on Hitbound. It is so damn catchy. I haven't been able to get it out of my head all week. Hopefully it can debut soon.

      Delete
    3. I agree with Fake Friends, it’s definitely going to be the best song on HitBound.

      Delete
  25. Don't Wanna Feel It is still fairly new. I hope it isn't gone for good.

    ReplyDelete
  26. AT40 post is out.

    http://siriusxmhits1review.blogspot.com/2018/03/at40-dua-lipa-3-week-of-march-3-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Hits 1 Recommendations:
    Sad Song- We the Kings/Elena Coats
    Stir Fry- Migos
    At the Club- Jacquees & DeJ Loaf
    Get Out- CHVRCHES
    All the Stars- Kendrick Lamar & SZA
    Merengue- Kent Jones
    Top Off- DJ Khaled/JAY-Z/Future/Beyoncé
    Not a Love Song- bülow
    Everyday- Logic & marshmello
    Delicate- Taylor Swift
    Look Alive- BlocBoy JB/Drake
    God's Plan- Drake

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
    2. Sad Song: It’s an okay song.
      Stir Fry: NOC
      At The Club: NOC
      Get Out: NOC
      All The Stars: Doubt it’ll make Hits 1.
      Merengue: Eww, no.
      Top Off: NOC
      Not A Love Song: I actually like this song.
      Everyday: NOC
      Delicate: This will most likely make Hits 1.
      Look Alive: NOC
      God’s Plan: Please don’t.

      Delete
    3. NO ONE CARES s is a huge statement to make. NO ONE CARES is just like not giving a crap about a baby. Maybe some of the songs on Chase's list will make it. Also maybe try listening to the songs. It's easy to see you hate rap as you say NO ONE CARES to every single song that has a rap artist. If you do listen to the songs who knows you might like it.

      Delete
    4. Example, unlike you WAMB, I actually do care and like God's Plan, and Stir Fry. Second, if no one cares about them, then why are some of them already hits then like Look Alive and some of them on the verge like Everyday and Top Off? Maybe actually give the songs a fucking chance instead of writing them off as songs no one cares about, when that is clearly not the case giving how much sales, airplay and streaming these songs are getting.

      Delete
  28. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  29. And No Excuses enters the radio chart at... #298 with only 5.716 million audience, and 805 spins. But I do expect it to make gains anyhow, I just don't see it being a top 40 hit.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Wrong Miles, it enters at #2 on pop radio charts.

      Delete
    2. No, it entered at #49 / #99 on the pop radio charts.

      Delete
    3. I'm not talking about pop radio I'm talking about all format radio, and I'm talking about overall audience impression, not radio spins.

      Delete
  30. http://mymusicreviewingblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/personal-top-20-chart-3318.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Wow. Sober Up and WIT are seperated by 2 spins on alternative radio.

    This is getting intense.

    ReplyDelete
  32. My post it out if you guys want to check it out!

    http://countdownsblog.blogspot.ca/

    ReplyDelete
  33. http://chucklesblog.weebly.com/home/goodbye

    ReplyDelete
  34. My countdown post is out if you want to check it out!

    http://sxmhits1weekendcountdownblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/zedd-1-week-of-march-3-2018.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Alright, so my comments on this post:
    -Gonna assume that Despacito is your #11, and would've been purple had you not put Starboy in such, haha. (Similarly, with last year's list, The Hills, a Weeknd repeat, just barely kept Love Yourself, a Bieber song in the Top 2, from being in your Top 5.)
    -Definitely with you on being thankful that Something Just Like This narrowly edged out Bad and Boujee for Top 5. The former I have little more to say about, and the latter, yeah. And the memes aren't even that exciting for it either.
    -For XO Tour Llif3, I don't think it's good, but for me it's not quite as crappy as many make it out to be. The subject matter had potential but it just wasn't carried out right. Bad tier for me.
    -"I absolutely despise Lil Yachty. I don't think there's a single song he's part of that I actually like." Not related to this, but what about Faking It by Calvin Harris featuring Kehlani?
    -I was also surprised that you didn't mention Can't Stop the Feeling making the upper half of the list. Pretty darn impressive given how quickly it peaked back in summer 2016 and didn't even have very good streaming power at all, though it likely wouldn't have if it weren't for the Oscars.
    -I noticed that in your Top 50 breakdown, every song from 24K Magic on has rap in some way, except Issues (and Don't Wanna Know if you exclude Kendrick's verse, which is barely even there and Hits 1 did).
    -Kind of surprised to not see Drowning in red, although admittedly it's not quite as bad aside from that one line (you know the one) and does have decency to it compared to most of the other rap here.
    -I also see that you have Treat You Better in red. Good to see that you've caught on :P
    There's probably more for me to say but haven't thought of it at this time.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. - Despacito was #11 and had Feels not made this list (or any song in my Top 10 for that matter), it would've been purple.

      - Looking back on this, I am very thankful that Something Just Like This made it over Bad and Boujee into the Top 5. It could've easily been the other way around. So I'm glad it's the way it is.

      - I can agree with on XO Tour Llif3. It's surely not a good song. But I think what made it so crappy was how many times I've heard it. They played it at my senior prom back in May and it was so annoying.

      - Faking It is a decent song. I like the production somewhat and Kehlani has good vocals, which is nothing new. But I don't like Lil Yachty's contribution. Had his verse not been there, I'd consider it a good song.

      - I am definitely impressed that he made it so high again, though I didn't really feel the need to comment on it. I am very pleased with it though.

      - Yeah, the rap music was not great. Aside from some exceptions like Unforgettable, Bounce Back, Black Beatles, and Humble, the rap genre failed to really impress me in 2017.

      - Drowning is actually not that bad and that's probably because the majority of the other rap songs here are worse. It's not exactly good, but it's tolerable.

      - Yeah, your comments really opened my eyes here and I realized that the song really is not good. I only liked it back then because I was a Shawn Mendes fangirl. Now I'm actually starting to judge the quality of the music.

      Delete
  36. https://hits1weekendcountdownblog.blogspot.com/2018/03/taking-break.html

    ReplyDelete