Tuesday, December 26, 2017

Ed Sheeran (1) – Week Of December 23, 2017

Hey guys! I hope you all had a great Christmas. Sometime between now and New Year's, I plan to have my Top 45 songs of 2017 out for you guys. In the meantime, here is our Christmas edition of the Weekend Countdown. Before we get to this week's Fresh 45, here are the songs we're saying goodbye to this week.


  • Sam Hunt – Body Like A Back Road (#23)
  • Luis Fonsi and Daddy Yankee/Justin Bieber – Despacito (#43)
  • The Script – Rain (#44)
  • Logic/Alessia Cara/Khalid – 1-800-273-8255 (#45)

Last Week's #1 Song: Camila Cabello – Havana
The Countdown
45. MAX/Gnash – Lights Down Low (#40)
44. Ed Sheeran – Shape Of You (#42) [9 Weeks At #1]
43. Charlie Puth – Attention (#36) [1 Week At #1]
42. Harry Styles – Kiwi (#35)
41. Cheat Codes/Demi Lovato – No Promises (#41)
40. Walk The Moon – One Foot (DEBUT)
39. Liam Payne – Bedroom Floor (DEBUT)
38. Macklemore/Skylar Grey – Glorious (#26)
37. Linkin Park – One More Light (#37)
36. Louis Tomlinson – Miss You (DEBUT)
35. Eminem/Ed Sheeran – River (DEBUT)
34. The Shadowboxers – Hot Damn (#27)
33. Symon – Lonely Girl (#38)
32. Zedd/Alessia Cara – Stay (#39) [4 Weeks At #1]
31. Taylor Swift – Look What You Made Me Do (#32)
30. Nick Jonas – Find You (#31)
29. Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry (#10) [1 Week At #1]
28. Ed Sheeran – Castle On The Hill (#30) [3 Weeks At #1]
27. Niall Horan – Slow Hands (#33) [3 Weeks At #1]
26. Portugal. The Man – Feel It Still (#20)
25. Liam Payne – Strip That Down (#29) [2 Weeks At #1]
24. X Ambassadors – Ahead Of Myself (#28)
23. Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days (#34)
22. Shawn Mendes – There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back (#25) [3 Weeks At #1]
21. Post Malone/21 Savage – Rockstar (#22)
20. P!nk – What About Us (#21) [1 Week At #1]
19. Lauv – I Like Me Better (#24)
18. Sam Smith – Too Good At Goodbyes (#18)
17. Dua Lipa – New Rules (#19)
16. Imagine Dragons – Believer (#16) [3 Weeks At #1]
15. Selena Gomez/Marshmello – Wolves (#15)
14. Niall Horan – Too Much To Ask (#13)
13. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line – Meant To Be (#14)
12. Zayn/Sia – Dusk Till Dawn (#17)
11. Kesha – Praying (#12)
10. Charlie Puth – How Long (#11)
  9. Kelly Clarkson – Love So Soft (#8)
  8. Taylor Swift – ...Ready For It? (#5)
  7. Ed Sheeran – Galway Girl (#7) [4 Weeks At #1]
  6. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/Florida Georgia Line/watt – Let Me Go (#6)
  5. Maroon 5/SZA – What Lovers Do (#9)
  4. Halsey – Bad At Love (#3) [1 Week At #1]
  3. Imagine Dragons – Thunder (#4) [2 Weeks At #1]
  2. Camila Cabello – Havana (#1) [1 Week At #1]
  1. Ed Sheeran – Perfect (#2) [1st Week At #1]

#1 Song This Week One Year Ago: Hailee Steinfeld & Grey/Zedd – Starving (2)

Biggest DROP!!!... Of The Week: Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry (–19)

Biggest Jump Of The Week: Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days (+11)

New Entrants
~ I believe these are the last debuts I'll be reviewing for the year. And I'm glad three out of the four were able to make it (even though they're not eligible for my Year-End countdown). Coming in at #40 we have Walk The Moon making their return with One Foot. Last we heard from these guys, Shut Up and Dance was Hits 1's #1 song of 2015 and Different Colors pretty much flopped (unfortunately). One Foot is definitely a banger and I find it hard not to enjoy this. It's undeniably full of energy and it honestly just puts me in a good mood. When listening to this song and watching the music video, it feels like the band, especially Nick Petricca, is having a blast. That happiness rubs off on me every time I listen to this song. Shut Up and Dance had its time, and I feel like One Foot is a step in the right direction. This is the kind of music we need, music that will make us feel better in dark times.

~ Next we have Liam Payne with Bedroom Floor. I didn't care too much for this at first. But now after more listens, it's really not a good song. Lyrically, it is similar to Strip That Down and Get Low. The vocals aren't that good either. Liam's falsetto is kind of annoying. There's not much else to say about this. Ultimately it's not that far off from Strip That Down. I don't think Liam will ever come out with anything good. I'm hoping this doesn't last as long as Strip That Down. But given that this isn't as big of a hit (or really a hit at all), I don't think it'll last that long.

~ As a little present for Louis Tomlinson's birthday this past Sunday, we get Miss You on the countdown. Unlike Liam, I'm a fan of Louis and I really like his music. Miss You is a bit different from what we've previously heard from him. There are some nice guitars and Tomlinson's vocals sound really good. I like the songwriting and the production is pretty good. All in all, it's a very enjoyable song. Almost as good as Back To You and definitely better than Just Like You. I'm patiently waiting for Louis to bring us an album like three of the other One Direction members have at this point. But for now, this song is really good.

~ With the highest debut of the week, we have our first Eminem song since 2014 brought us Headlights with fun.'s Nate Ruess. This week, we have River featuring Ed Sheeran, who brings his fifth song currently on the countdown. I'll admit, Revival is definitely not his best work. But River is one of the better songs from that album and I'm glad it was able to make its debut. Eminem's verses flow really nice and I think Ed Sheeran sounds great in the chorus. Two artists that have always been the best at what they do. I think they're a great duo. I hope this song does well because I really like it.


Hit-Bound
~ Here is the Hit-Bound list.


  • Sofi Tukker/NERVO – Best Friend
  • Fall Out Boy – Hold Me Tight Or Don't
  • Spencer – Whatever
  • NF – Let You Down (DEBUT)
  • Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes
  • Taylor Swift/Ed Sheeran/Future – End Game
  • AJR/Rivers Cuomo – Sober Up
  • P!nk – Beautiful Trauma
  • Alan Walker/Noah Cyrus/Digital Farm Animals – All Falls Down (DEBUT)
  • Clean Bandit/Julia Michaels – I Miss You
  • Wolves – Animal
  • G-Eazy/Halsey – Him & I (DEBUT)
  • Camila Cabello – Never Be The Same (DEBUT)
  • All Time Low – Last Young Renegade

~ Let You Down is definitely one of the more enjoyable rap songs I've heard this year. It's nothing special by any means. But I really like it compared to most other rap songs I've heard this year. It's really nice to see Alan Walker finally get the recognition he deserves similar to Kygo (a fellow Norwegian DJ). All Falls Down really showcases his talent as a producer. It's a very enjoyable track. The vocals are pretty good too. I would like to see this on the countdown.

~ G-Eazy and Halsey is one of those collaborations that I didn't know I needed in my life until I heard Him & I. I think they're a really good collab. I like G-Eazy's verses and Halsey sounds pretty good in the chorus. Never Be The Same is exactly why I didn't like Camila Cabello before Havana. I don't think her voice sounds good in this song. Maybe it'll grow on me. But I doubt it.


Top 5 Hit-Bound Picks
1. Clean Bandit/Julia Michaels – I Miss You
2. Sofi Tukker – Best Friend
3. G-Eazy/Halsey – Him & I
4. Alan Walker/Noah Cyrus/Digital Farm Animals – All Falls Down
5. Imagine Dragons – Whatever It Takes


Merry Blurbmas!
~ It's nice to see Perfect at #1. I definitely prefer this over every other song in the Top 5. I wouldn't even mind this song spending a few more weeks at the top. What I want is for songs like Thunder to start dropping soon.

~ While not spending very many weeks in the Top 10, Kesha – Praying has really been going strong. I'm quite impressed and I'm very happy about it. Hopefully it can stick around a bit longer.

~ I'm not too thrilled to see Lauv – I Like Me Better in the Top 20. If this song is going to be on the countdown, the very least it can do is not infect the Top 20. Otherwise I would appreciate if this song would leave soon.

~ Shawn Mendes – There's Nothing Holdin' Me Back is starting to test my patience. It has already become a station changer with how much it's been overplayed. I would like to see this song out of the Top 30 soon.

~ Demi Lovato – Sorry Not Sorry took a really nice drop towards the bottom of the Top 30. Thankfully this only spent one week at the top spot. I still want to see Tell Me You Love Me on the countdown. I'm not sure why this song is just being ignored. It's definitely the better song by a long shot.

~ With the debut of Miss You, we're back to every One Direction member currently having a song on the countdown. Although it's pretty obvious Harry won't be with us very much longer. And it's very disappointing that Liam had to become not only a Hits 1 favorite, but a fan favorite as well, hence why Strip That Down was a #1 hit.

~ As far as the exits go, Body Like A Back Road should've left a long time ago. Despacito lasted a lot longer than I thought it would. Same goes for Rain as it didn't even reach the Top 20. 1-800 stayed for a good while, so I'm happy about that.

~ With this week's debuts likely being the last set of debuts of the year, it's safe to say that every song currently on the countdown has successfully made it into 2018. Congratulations to all.


Top 20 Review
0 – Crap:
NONE

1 – Bad:
20. Lauv – I Like Me Better

2 – Mediocre:
19. Kelly Clarkson – Love So Soft

3 – Decent:
18. Imagine Dragons – Thunder

4 – Good:
NONE

5 – Great:
17. Halsey – Bad At Love
16. Ed Sheeran – Galway Girl
15. Camila Cabello – Havana
14. Taylor Swift – ...Ready For It?
13. Niall Horan – Too Much To Ask
12. Maroon 5/SZA – What Lovers Do
11. Charlie Puth – How Long
10. Dua Lipa – New Rules
9. Sam Smith – Too Good At Goodbyes
8. Imagine Dragons – Believer
7. Selena Gomez/Marshmello – Wolves
6. Bebe Rexha/Florida Georgia Line – Meant To Be
5. Kesha – Praying
4. P!nk – What About Us
3. Hailee Steinfeld & Alesso/F.G.L./watt – Let Me Go
2. Ed Sheeran – Perfect
1. Zayn/Sia – Dusk Till Dawn

Total Score: 91/100 = 91% (A–)


Throwback Pick Of The Week: Paul McCartney – Wonderful Christmastime

Most Missed Countdown Song: Iggy Azalea/Rita Ora – Black Widow

#1 Recommendation For Hits 1: Machine Gun Kelly/X Ambassadors/Bebe Rexha – Home

Favorite Countdown Song This Week One Year Ago: Jon Bellion – All Time Low (#15)


My Top 5 Picks
1. TIE: Walk The Moon – One Foot
1. TIE: Macklemore/Kesha – Good Old Days
3. Macklemore/Skylar Grey – Glorious
4. Zayn/Sia – Dusk Till Dawn
5. Eminem/Ed Sheeran – River

81 comments:

  1. Well, actually there is the countdown on the 30th is there not?

    Also first!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There is.

      I assume you question my comment on this likely being the last set of debuts of the year. This is because Hits 1 typically doesn't have any debuts on the first or last week of the year. Of course this is an assumption based off of previous years. I could be incorrect. But I'm pretty sure these are the last entrants of the year.

      Delete
    2. If the last two years were anything to go by, I take it that Kiwi, Ahead of Myself and Find You will be the last set of entrants that can qualify for your Top 45, because I recall the second Saturday in December is usually your cutoff for that.

      Delete
    3. This comment has been removed by the author.

      Delete
  2. Going on my trip, see you all the 31st (or sooner!)

    ReplyDelete
  3. 4 more days left of 2017!

    ReplyDelete
  4. My local radio station decided to play Slide for some reason. The reason I say this is because it was the first time they played it and I find it weird that they would when it has been around for a while.

    ReplyDelete
  5. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: EMINEM/Beyonce - Walk on Water

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I think it’ll debut Hit Bound when River hits #1 on the countdown.

      Delete
    2. Anonymous: That won't be happening, most likely.

      Delete
    3. Gelography: I disagree with you, I think it will.

      Delete
  6. I was kinda hoping you may grow into Bedroom Floor and unfortunately, that's not the case. It seems that you're not looking forward to hearing what Liam Payne has to offer at all.

    And bad news for you: it's been confirmed that he's going to collaborate with Rita Ora in their upcoming single titled For You from the Fifty Shades Freed soundtrack.

    Source: https://twitter.com/FiftyShades/status/943958470700646400

    ReplyDelete
  7. Adrian, do you play Splatoon 2? Because my brother was playing ranked with a level 15 named Adrian.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. There are tens of thousands of Adrians in the country.

      Delete
  8. This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. DON’T YOU DARE DELETE THIS COMMENT!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

      Delete
    2. Too bad, ATR. He already deleted this comment.

      Delete
    3. I know that's you commenting as anonymous, ATR.

      You know the rules for commenting. You've seen me delete these kinds of comments from you before. I don't know why you keep doing it and act all surprised when I delete it. This is nothing new.

      Delete
  9. Replies
    1. Thanks, Chase! That’s what I was about to say.

      Delete
  10. I'm honestly more surprised that you're growing out of There's Nothing Holding Me Back, yet Slow Hands you still have in green even though you had briefly grown out of This Town before it left. Huh.

    Then again, with your history with Shawn Mendes, I shouldn't be surprised.

    ReplyDelete
  11. Hey guys!

    http://hotfortyfive.blogspot.com/2017/12/week-of-december-23-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  12. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  13. This comment has been removed by the author.

    ReplyDelete
  14. Hey guys! The countdown post is out a bit earlier this week! :)

    https://sxmhits1.blogspot.com/2017/12/ed-sheeran-1-week-of-december-23-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  15. What are the Hit Bound spins so far?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I can't tell ypu right now but there may not be any entrants as the I have not heard any spins from them this week.

      Delete
    2. Maybe it’s because it’s the last countdown for the year.

      Delete
    3. The last countdown of the year and first countdown of the year typically don't have any new songs. So I think it might be a couple of weeks before we see any new songs on the countdown.

      Delete
  16. Grammarly be like: *underlines "for" in red* *Anonymous clicks it*
    Grammarly:
    Change the word
    of
    Ignore
    Add to dictionary
    See more in grammarly

    (not to be rude or anything but)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Sorry, that was meant to be a reply to Anonymous.

      Delete
  17. What are your weekend countdown predictions for 12/30/17?

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. Exits:
      None

      Entrants:
      None

      #1: Perfect

      Biggest Drop: Believer/TNHMB

      Biggest Jump: River

      Hit Bound Entrants:
      None

      Delete
  18. My weekend countdown predictions for 12/30/17:
    Exits:
    None

    Entrants:
    None

    #1: Perfect

    Biggest Drop: Believer & TNHMB

    Biggest Jump: River

    Hit Bound Entrants:
    None

    ReplyDelete
  19. 2 more days left of 2017!

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. WOULD YOU PLEASE F**KING STOP? YOU AND YOUR “2 MORE DAYS NOBODY CARES” ARE GEETING RIDICULOUS! PLEASE GO AWAY NOW OR STOP DOIN IT!

      Delete
    2. Gelography: It's none of his business.

      Delete
    3. Gelography: Anonymous can say all he wants.

      Delete
  20. And my Hits 1 Year Of 2017 Countdown Review is now out!

    https://sxmhits1.blogspot.com/2017/12/ed-sheeran-year-of-2017.html

    Enjoy! Don't forget to catch up on the last countdown review!

    https://sxmhits1.blogspot.com/2017/12/ed-sheeran-1-week-of-december-23-2017.html

    <3

    ReplyDelete
  21. So, quick heads up regarding tomorrow: the Weekend Countdown will first air at 2 AM, then the Top 45 of 2017 will air at 6 AM. Haven't seen the rest yet but for anyone who will be up at 6 AM for it, just thought you should know. Not that it matters a whole lot since there won't be any exits.

    ReplyDelete
  22. Is it just me or is Hits 1 playing the same songs over and over again? I have heard TNHMB a LOT today.

    ReplyDelete
  23. Morning fam! Countdown aired early this morning. Spoilers:

















    Halsey – Bad At Love is #1!

    ReplyDelete
  24. #1 Recommendation for Hits 1: Lorde - Green Light (as a re-entry)

    ReplyDelete
  25. Here's this week's countdown post, everyone!

    http://sxmhits1wc.blogspot.com/2017/12/halsey-2-week-of-december-30-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  26. Happy Saturday everyone! I have prepared a Year-End Billboard Chart Review!

    https://sxmhits1.blogspot.com/2017/12/ed-sheeran-year-of-2017-billboard-hot.html

    ReplyDelete
  27. Guys, I have a very important announcement about Bruno Mars. His single "Finesse" will be remixed with Cardi B coming this Thursday.

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I also have an announcement about Justin Timberlake. His new single is going to be called "Man of the Woods" featuring Timbaland. And it will be released this Friday. so Stay tuned for Bruno Mars's Finesse Remix and JT's Man of the Woods.

      Delete
  28. Here you go guys!!!

    https://mimable.blogspot.com/2017/12/halsey-2-week-of-december-30-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  29. Opening year-end Hits 1 rankdown later today!

    ReplyDelete
  30. My countdown post is out!

    http://sxmhits1weekendcountdownblog.blogspot.com/2017/12/halsey-2-week-of-december-30-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  31. Countdown post is out!

    http://siriusxmhits1review.blogspot.com/2017/12/halsey-2-week-of-december-30-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I just realized I accidentally used the same picture that Adrian used a couple weeks ago. LOL.

      Delete
  32. My review of this week's countdown, using this scale:

    0-Crap (Red)
    1-Bad (Turquoise)
    2-Mediocre (Yellow)
    3-Decent (Pink)
    4-Good (Blue)
    5-Great (Green)
    Favorite-Purple
    Least favorite-Orange

    45. I like the chorus, but the rest isn't memorable. (Blue)
    44. This is an anthem. Macklemore hasn't gotten worse since The Heist's days, and he shows it here. I think the chorus could be slightly better, but this is getting what it deserves. (Green)
    43. This is awesome! It reminds me so much of the rock of the 2000's, which you don't see very much these days. Vocals are good, too. (Green)
    42. Catchy, but I think more could be added to it. Also, I don't know if Demi Lovato was the right choice for the singer. (Blue)
    41. I still hate this, even after people loving it again because it was the #1 song of this year. (Red)
    40. It's a pretty cool song, but it has a lot of empty spaces that could've easily been filled. Overplayed, too. (Pink)
    39. I don't know why this is still here, although I don't hate it as much as I used to. (Turquoise)
    38. Sounds generic for a modern pop song, but I like the chorus. (Blue)
    37. I have no idea why Taylor thinks she can diss one of the best rappers in the game and succeed, even after the other things she did. Remind me why people like this again? (Orange)
    36. Cool song. Doesn't top his other stuff, but it's something I can enjoy. (Green)
    35. Bor-ing. The only thing that saves it from atrocity is the vocals. (Turquoise)
    34. The only bad thing is the falsetto. Other than that, it's good. (Blue)
    33. When I first heard this, I had a hard time convincing myself that this was actually Linkin Park. Chester is good, unlike anything else. (Yellow)
    32. Man, I can't believe that this is Eminem, the guy who made huge hits like Lose Yourself. I do not like his new style or album. It's slightly above average in this song, but I could do without Ed Sheeran. (Pink)
    31. I like this. I don't know what keeps it from being amazing, but it's still great. (Green)
    30. It could have more to it, but I like it for what it is. The chorus is my favorite part. (Green)
    29. I still like this, but I still don't know why his album stood out so much. (Green)
    28. The verses seem convincing that the song is gonna be good, but the chorus kills the song so much. (Yellow)
    27. This is pretty good for some band I've never heard of before. Don't think it will get big anywhere else, though. (Green)
    26. Still hate this. You'd think this could be alt-crossover perfection, but no. (Red)
    25. Yeah, it's overplayed, but I still love it! I can do without Quavo, but--wait, this is Hits 1, so there is no Quavo! (Green)
    24. It's not bad, but I hate the chorus, so it's not good either. (Yellow)
    23. I love this! I don't think I liked it at first, but it took some growing into. (Green)

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. 22. Wow, this is still pretty high? Nice. These guys have stood out to me lately for some reason. (Green)
      21. Vocals are good, but the rest sucks. (Yellow)
      20. Yes, they made a comeback! It just about matches their other two songs they had here, which is impressive. (Green)
      19. Not as good as Glorious, but still somewhat likeable. (Blue)
      18. Great, but could be slightly better. Reminds me of Renegades somewhat, but not as good. (Green)
      17. Why does Hits 1 think they can put 21 Savage on their station, and expect people to be happy? It's not okay, unless they were on as many drugs as he is. (Red)
      16. Never liked Sam Smith, and this song shows it. (Turquoise)
      15. The drop seems underwhelming, but everything else is really good. (Blue)
      14. Slightly boring for some reason, but the production is pretty good. I could enjoy this, I guess. (Blue)
      13. So amazing! Not a single flaw in this. Impressive. (Green)
      12. Doesn't really fit Ed Sheeran, and it goes so fast, it confuses me. No idea why this is good. (Blue)
      11. Is this really Kesha? Okay then... (Turquoise)
      10. Some parts, like the chorus, are good, but others aren't. I don't really think this fits Zayn either, but if he's changing, I guess that's fine. (Blue)
      9. Reminds me a lot of the old Kelly Clarkson. She hasn't gotten that worse. (Green)
      8. This production doesn't fit Charlie Puth, but I like it enough to like the song. (Blue)
      7. Not as bad as LWYMMD, but still explains why today's Taylor Swift isn't a good one. (Turquoise)
      6. Unlike most of today's artists, she's gotten a lot better! Is it the featured artists or what? (Green)
      5. Good to see that they're making an effort to come back, but they chose the wrong featured artist. But everything else I love. (Blue)
      4. I can't believe a pop song I love hit #1 for once! Good to see that these guys are still at the top of their game, and I hope they stay that way. (Purple)
      3. Just because of this and Thunder hitting #1, I think modern pop music is improving. This song is just perfection. The chorus is the best part, and wow, for once, Young Thug doesn't suck! What a shocker! (Purple)
      2. Out of all pop songs, this was the one to take the Despacito and Mi Gente route? This really sucks. (Red)
      1. It's better than Now or Never, I'll give you that. But I don't see why it's as big of a hit. (Blue)

      Total score: 142/225 (63.1%)

      Delete
    2. Trust me, you're not alone on #37. It may have rocketed up to #1 on the Hot 100 with the biggest week there since Hello's astronomical debut in November 2015, but soon after Bodak Yellow dethroned it, it got DEMOLISHED by bad radio callout and has been in freefall.

      Delete
  33. Hey Adrian, how would you like to do your Top 45 songs of the year post?

    ReplyDelete
  34. Hey guys! The final Hot 45 Chart of 2017 has been posted. Check it here:

    http://hotfortyfive.blogspot.com/2017/12/week-of-december-30-2017.html

    ReplyDelete
  35. Never mind, I'll open the rankdown tomorrow, as in December 31.

    ReplyDelete